Seasoned hard wood, burnt slowly down to embers
4 baby cos lettuce halved
8 anchovies in oil
1 lemon, zested
Egg yolk cream
½ fresh chilli, julienned
1 clove garlic
20g capers drained
100ml extra virgin olive oil
For the egg cream
200ml smoked oil
2 fresh free-range egg yolks
75ml anchovy oil (from the tin of anchovies in oil)
1 tbsp cava vinegar
Recipe by Lennox Hastie
Photography by Jon Bader
1. For the egg cream: in a small saucepan, heat the oil to approximately 68ºC. Carefully add the egg yolks one at a time and allow to cook for 10–15 minutes until the yolk begins to just cook. With a slotted spoon, remove the yolks to a clean bowl, being careful not to break the yolk. Add the vinegar and whisk continuously and slowly, adding the anchovy oil in a steady stream. Season to taste.
2. Brush cos halves lightly with olive oil and grill for approximately 2 minutes each side. Remove, season with sea salt and half the lemon zest.
3. Cut and grill lemon over grill for 3 minutes until charred and caramelised.
4. In a small pan, fry the chilli and the capers in the remaining oil until crisp.
5. Dress the cos in the grilled lemon juice and the chilli caper oil.
6. Drape an anchovy fillet over each quarter, spoon over the egg cream and finish with the capers, parsley, chilli, and grilled lemon.