Lennox Hastie's grilled blueberries and buttermilk ice cream
Lennox Hastie's recipe for grilled blueberries and buttermilk ice cream will tantelise your tastebuds.
400ml double cream
1 vanilla pod split
6 egg yolks
140g caster sugar
600ml fresh buttermilk
250g fresh blueberries
20g caster sugar
Recipe by Lennox Hastie
Photography by Jon Bader
1. For the ice-cream base: Bring the cream to the boil with the vanilla pod, whilst whisking together the egg yolks and the sugar to ribbon stage. Continue whisking as you pour the boiling cream on to the egg and sugar mixture. Return to the pan and, stirring continuously, cook gently until the mixture has thickened so that it coats the back of a wooden spoon, and has reached a temperature of 76°C on a thermometer. Sieve into a clean bowl and chill completely.
2. Meanwhile, prepare your embers.
3. Once the ice cream base is completely cool, stir in the fresh buttermilk, and transfer to an ice-cream machine to churn until set.
4. Roll the blueberries in the caster sugar. Place blueberries into fine sieve and grill gently over the hot coals for 1 minute, add the raspberries and grill for another minute – just until the fruit is on the point of bursting.
5. Remove and serve immediately with a scoop of your ice cream (or your favourite store-bought ice cream).