Lyndey Milans Semolina-crusted eggplant with honey and chilli
4 or 8 as tapas
Lyndey Milan's Semolina - crusted eggplant with honey and chilli is an interesting, textural dish that pairs nicely with light to medium-bodied reds like Pinot, Gamay or Nero d'Avola. Avoid anything too heavy or tannic.
2 large eggplant
Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
½ cup (125ml) milk
1/3 cup (55g) semolina
½ teaspoon sea salt flakes, crushed
1/3 cup (80 ml) yellowbox or redgum honey
1 tsp Aleppo pepper flakes (Turkish chilli flakes), or to taste, to serve
Thyme sprigs, to serve
Recipe by: Lyndey Milan
Photography by: John Paul Urizar
Styling by: Michaela Le Compte
1. Peel the eggplant and cut them into 2cm wide long fingers.
2. Pour milk into a small bowl and put semolina on a small plate and season well with salt. Dip the eggplant pieces into the milk, then shake off any excess and roll the pieces in the seasoned semolina.
3. Heat approx. 5 cm oil over high heat in a large, deep frying pan, wok or saucepan.
4. Cook eggplant in batches for a minute or so on each side until browned all over and flesh is soft.
5. Drain on a paper-lined plate.
6. To serve, drizzle over honey and sprinkle with thyme sprigs and Aleppo pepper.
Pinot Noir, Gamay or Nero D'Avola