1 L water
1 cup polenta, coarse
30ml olive oil
1kg mixed mushrooms
Good pinch saltbush
Good pinch black pepper leaf
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
250ml vegetable stock
2 large tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and diced
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon pepper berry, ground
1/4 teaspoon bush tomato, ground**
1/4 teaspoon lemon myrtle, ground
1/4 teaspoon dehydrated Davidson plum
1/4 teaspoon dehydrated lemon aspen
1/4 teaspoon saltbush
1/4 teaspoon native mountain pepper leaf, ground*
1. In a saucepan, bring the water and 1 teaspoon of the spice blend to the boil (store remainder for later use).
2. Gradually stir in polenta and cook to a spreadable consistency.
3. Spread polenta on a greased baking tray, set aside and chill.
4. Cut polenta into batons, fry until golden.
5. For mushrooms, in a saucepan, roast flour until light brown. Add butter to make roux.
6. Heat oil in sauté pan and sear mushrooms. Season with saltbush and black pepper leaf. Add shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in roux and stock.
7. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
8. Add tomatoes. Season to taste and serve with fried polenta batons.
Mark’s note: *Also known as Tasmanian Mountain Pepper Leaf, Mountain Pepper, Native Pepper. **Also known as Dessert Raisin, Kutjura, Akudjura.
Wine match: Pinot Noir or Nero d’Avola
Styling: Michaela Le Compte, Food prep: Danny Taplin