2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 lemons, finely grated
2 bunches of oregano, finely chopped
3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp salt
100ml orange juice
60ml soy sauce
30ml sherry vinegar
15g coriander seed
Pinch of salt
Recipe by : Pilot.
Photography: Lean Timms
1. Score the fat cap of the lamb shoulder. Combine garlic, lemon zest, oregano, olive oil and salt to make the marinade, and marinate lamb overnight in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator.
2. Pre-heat oven to 150ºC. Remove lamb from refrigerator and let return to room temperature.
3. Place lamb in a deep roasting tray and add 250ml water. Cover tightly with foil and cook for 2 hours. Turn temperature down to 110ºC and cook a further 5 hours, adding a little water to the tray from time to time or as necessary. The lamb is ready once you can easily pull meat from the bone with a fork. Once ready, let it rest for 30 minutes in the braising liquid.
4. For the glaze: While lamb is resting, add sugar, water, glucose and coriander seed to a medium-sized pot. Cook until it attains a dark caramel colour, and is around 180ºC on a thermometer. Split caramel with orange juice, sherry vinegar and soy sauce. Strain out coriander seed and allow to cool before seasoning with a little salt.
5. Once lamb has rested and glaze is prepared, turn on oven grill. Liberally apply glaze to the lamb and let grill, waiting for glaze to caramelise. Reapply glaze as necessary, and finish with a touch of salt.