Confit garlic oil
15 cloves of garlic
200ml vegetable oil
50ml extra virgin olive oil
125g strong baker’s flour
125g wholemeal flour
5g instant yeast
50g Greek yoghurt
Pat of butter
3g sea salt
1 red capsicum, quartered
1 garlic head, halved
2 tbsp olive oil
25g crustless sourdough bread, coarsely torn
20g roasted almonds
15g sherry vinegar, or to taste
Dash of lemon juice, or to taste
5g smoked paprika
Recipe by: Pilot.
Photography by: Lean Timms
1. For the confit garlic oil: Place garlic in a small pot and cover with oil. Simmer on low heat for about an hour, or until oil is infused and garlic is cooked out. Strain and reserve oil.
2. For the yoghurt bread: Mix together baker’s flour and wholemeal flour. Add 70ml of water to yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes.
3. Add the yeast and water mix to flour, and knead to make a dough. Slowly add yoghurt and sugar and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Cover and rest in a warm place until the dough doubles in size.
4. Knock the dough back, portion into 5 balls and let rest for 30 minutes.
5. Flatten out the round balls into small discs, and cook in a hot pan with butter.
6. Dress with confit garlic oil, season lightly with sea salt and serve with romesco.
1. Pre-heat oven to 200ºC. Drizzle capsicum and garlic with olive oil on an oven tray, season and roast for 25–30 minutes or until tender.
2. Once cool, squeeze garlic from skins, then transfer garlic, capsicum and any pan juices to a food processor.
3. Add bread, almonds, vinegar, lemon juice and paprika, then process for 1–2 minutes until smooth.
4. While blitzing, slowly add remaining oil and process until emulsified. Season to taste and serve with yoghurt flatbread as a spread/dip, or in the manner of a pizza pocket.