Best Denmark Wineries
Surrounded by ancient forests and pristine stretches of coastline, the Denmark wine region has been successfully growing cool climate wine varieties since 1965.
Part of the expansive Great Southern Region of Western Australia, Denmark has become a popular tourist destination. Known for its laid-back lifestyle, spectacular scenery and vibrant cultural scene, you’ll also find award-winning Denmark wineries and cellar doors, with over 25 to explore and enjoy.
Whether you’re local to WA or have travelled from interstate, make the most of your journey by stopping in at Denmark restaurants to satisfy your hunger, and rest your head after a busy day of wine tasting and exploring at a range of great Denmark wineries accommodation.
Start planning your trip to the Denmark wine region with our cellar door guide. We’ve compiled a list of the best things to do in Denmark, great places to eat, stay and more.
This wonderfully diverse and naturally beautiful region is waiting for you!
Shop Denmark Wines
Denmaker Wineries Map
Planning a trip to Denmark?
Download out interactive McLaren Vale winery map. To save on your browser or device, click HERE.
Best Denmark wineries and cellar doors
Castelli Estate boasts a range of wines that have had unparalleled success since their introductory vintage in 2007. From entry level to premium wines, the entire range of Castelli wines have won countless awards, medals, and trophies, including the coveted James Halliday ‘Five Star Winery’ and ‘Best by Region’ awards.
Experience wine tastings at the atmospheric cellar door inside the estate’s Tudor manor house, complete with an impressive stone fireplace. If you’re feeling peckish, grazing boards with cheeses, cured meats, fresh-baked bread and more are available for purchase between 11:30am and 3:00pm from the Cellar Door menu.
Surrounded by a towering ancient forest on Mount Shadforth with breath-taking views across the vineyards to Mount Lindsay and the Stirling Ranges, the vineyard is a haven for pleasure and relaxation. End your visit enjoying a peaceful night’s rest at one of the on-site luxury accommodation suites.
390 Mount Shadforth Road, Denmark
Open Wednesday to Sunday from 11am - 4pm
Booking during peak periods highly recommended
Visit the Castelli Vineyards Website
The historic Forest Hill Vineyard is planted alongside the Hay River, west of Mount Barker. It’s the oldest vineyard in the Great Southern region; originally a 1965 experimental planting of Riesling and Cabernet Sauvignon by the Department of Agriculture. Today it is family-owned and operated, and remains dry-grown, but has expanded over 50 years to include Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer, Sauvignon Blanc, Malbec, and Shiraz.
The winery and beautiful stone cellar door are located just outside Denmark. It’s a cool haven in summer, and a cosy retreat in winter, when the open fire beckons. You will be warmly welcomed and invited to taste wines from Forest Hill’s three ranges – easy drinking Highbury Fields, classic Estate wines, and the legendary premium Block range.
Forest Hill’s restaurant, Pepper & Salt, sits above the cellar door. It is renowned for stunning views and a menu that showcases delicious, locally sourced produce.
1564 South Coast Highway, Denmark
Open daily 10.30am – 5pm
Visit the Forest Hill website
Harewood Estate represents the best of the Great Southern, with a range of wines to showcase the region’s unparalleled diversity. The Harewood range includes wines made from grapes sourced from its four vineyards throughout the region. They produce a wide variety of expressions, among them Chardonnay, Riesling, Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Cabernet Merlot, Shiraz, and Pinot Noir.
Since 2003, Harewood Estate has enjoyed an impressive run of show results and critical acclaim, including numerous national and international Trophies and Halliday’s ‘Five Red Star’ rating for 14 consecutive editions. Driving into the estate, there’s a series of steep hills and valleys before you emerge onto the rolling slopes of the vineyard, enjoying views of the Southern Ocean. It’s a pristine place where long cool summer days and gravelly soils slowly ripen the grapes to produce wines of intense flavours.
Located on Denmark’s famous Scotsdale Tourist Drive, you can taste the full range of wines at the Harewood Estate cellar door, served by friendly and knowledgeable staff.
1570 Scotsdale Road, Denmark
Open Friday to Monday from 11am - 5pm (and 7 days a week during school holidays)
Visit the Harewood Estate website
This James Halliday ‘Five Red Star’ winery and cellar door is in the beautiful rolling hills of the Scotsdale Valley. The buildings sit at the base of the hill, with vistas of vines sweeping over a ridge and majestic Karri trees forming a spectacular backdrop. The cellar door complex includes the old farmhouse built in 1927, a restaurant and the contemporary wine sales area.
The relaxed friendly atmosphere offers the opportunity to sample wines from the diverse Rockcliffe range. From the easy drinking Quarram Rocks and Peaceful Bay wines, to the classic Third Reef and premium Single Site range.
Visitors are invited to bring along a picnic to enjoy in Rockcliff’s beautiful grounds, and have the delicious option of indulging in some artisan hand-made gelato.
18 Hamilton Road, Denmark
Open daily from 11am - 5pm
Visit the Rockcliffe website
Located a short 3.5kms from the centre of Denmark, Willoughby Park cellar door overlooks a stunning vineyard, offering a fantastic selection of wines for tasting. The relaxed, friendly atmosphere offers guests the opportunity to choose a wine to accompany a meal or to enjoy later.
Alongside their highly regarded Kalgan River vineyard, Willoughby Park also works with professional wine growers in sub regions across Great Southern producing a wonderful range of premium cool climate wines. Expressions from the IronRock, Kalgan River and Willoughby Park ranges, as well as monthly specials and back vintages from the cellar, are all available for tasting and better still, to take home.
The on-site restaurant and brewery, Boston Brewing Co. serves hand-crafted beers, delicious meals, wood fired pizzas, fresh coffee and of course, fine wines.
678 South Coast Highway, Denmark
*Cellar door re-opening early 2023.
Until then, visitors can taste and purchase wine on the same site at Boston Brewing Co.
Visit the Willoughby Park website
The Lake House Denmark
Located just five minutes from the centre of town, this rustic lakeside vineyard and cellar door offers award-winning cool climate wines, gourmet vineyard platters and picnics, and spectacular country views. It’s a relaxed, tranquil retreat surrounded by nature – a beautiful setting for wine tastings, brunch, lunch or afternoon tea.
From their first vintage in 2006, The Lake House Denmark has grown to include wines across four different ranges, capturing the character and richness of the Great Southern region. They also produce a handcrafted condiment range, Vinofood, selections of which are included in their gourmet vineyard hampers.
Overlooking a picturesque lake, the cellar door and restaurant are open daily and embrace the owners’ original vision of creating a place where visitors are welcomed so they too can experience a ‘Lake House’ moment in the tranquil country setting.
106 Turner Road, Denmark
Open daily 10am – 5pm
Visit The Lake House Denmark website
Singlefile’s award-winning cellar door in Denmark offers an impressive line-up of Great Southern wines for visitors to taste. Finely crafted Chardonnay is their signature style, made from grapes grown on their esteemed Denmark vineyard, and the collection features wines made from the best vineyards in the region, from Frankland River Shiraz to Porongurup Riesling.
The team welcomes guests for a seated tasting overlooking the grounds and vineyard, where you’ll experience a regional journey discovering the diversity of Great Southern’s five sub-regions. While there you may spot the resident geese, who Singlefile Wines takes its name from, parading the grounds gracefully in single file.
For something special, book A Sense of Place tour, an experience encompassing tastings of current and back vintages, a special barrel tasting, and a tour of the estate vineyards and stunning grounds. Private tastings typically run twice a day on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
90 Walter Road, Denmark
Open daily 11am-5pm (Closed on public holidays, except during school holidays)
Visit Single Files website
Best things to do in the Denmark wine region
One of the best things to do when visiting the Denmark wine region is to swim at Greens Pool.
While the beautiful cellar doors in the region may be your main incentive for visiting THE Denmark wine region, there is also plenty of fun and relaxation to be had in the surrounding areas. Here are some of our favourite activities.
- Stunning beaches - A visit to the region’s stunning beaches is a must-do on any trip to Denmark. Greens Pool and Elephant Rocks are considered two of the most beautiful beaches on the south coast of WA, so you’re sure to be the envy of your friends when they see your photos! Find out more about Denmark WA beaches.
- Valley of the Giants Tree Tops Walk - An icon of the region, the Valley of the Giants Tree Top Walk is a walkway suspended 40 metres high in the canopy of an ancient tingle forest. It’s a fun activity for the whole family, offering breathtaking views over the forest. The Ancient Empire walk, on ground level, enables visitors to wander through the majestic tingle trees and visit Grandma Tingle. Experience the beauty of these giant trees.
- West Cape Howe National Park - Located on the southernmost point of mainland Western Australia, the national park boasts a landscape that’s wild and dramatic. Swim at beautiful Shelley Beach, explore the sandy four-wheel drive tracks, walk along Tarbotton Track or watch whales during the migrating seasons. We suggest you get a Holiday Park Pass if you’re planning on visiting multiple WA national parks.
- Taste some local chocolate - Indulge in delicious delights at the Denmark Chocolate Company and Dark Side Chocolates. From handmade chocolates, hot chocolates and liqueurs to gourmet tarts, ice-creams and other decadent products, your taste buds are in for a real treat!
- Discover local art - Butter Factory Studios is a contemporary art gallery featuring the work of local South Coast WA artists and artisans. Pop in to see the latest exhibitions when you are exploring the region.
- Denmark Dinousaur World - Entertain the kids at this fun, family-friendly attraction. Located between Walpole and Denmark, it’s filled with prehistoric fantasy and natural splendour. Take in the dinosaur collection, interact with birds and reptiles – the living dinosaurs of today’s world, and pat some friendly locals in the kangaroo paddock.
Best places to eat in the Denmark wine region
Enjoy a tasty handcrafted beer or wine with your meal at Boston Brewing Co.
There’s something special about a delicious meal shared with friends or family, and this abundant region has some lovely Denmark wineries restaurants and other great culinary venues where you can enjoy a meal. Here are some of the best places to eat in the region, including Denmark wineries with food.
- Pepper & Salt – Overlooking the vineyard at Forest Hill winery, Pepper & Salt is a feast for the senses. A popular venue for lazy lunches, intimate dinners, private events and more, it’s a celebration of local produce in simple, elegant dishes inspired by Fijian-Indian flavours.
- The Green Pantry Café – Serving up locally roasted coffee and tasty goodies, the range includes drinks, house made cakes, slices, buddha bowls and more, with a focus on using locally sourced and organic ingredients and minimising waste. Single-use cup-free since 2020, patrons are encouraged to bring their own keep cup.
- Boston Brewing Co. – The Brew Pub restaurant serves handcrafted beer and wine alongside a tasty and original menu including shared plates, woodfired pizzas and pub favourites, for lunch and dinner 6 days a week.
- Flame Trees Denmark – A small, intimate bistro and bar right in the heart of Denmark. Enjoy local wines, beers and cocktails with delicious tapas-style foods.
- Massimo’s Place – If wholesome, delicious pizza is what you’re craving, you can’t go past Massimo’s. Combining modern techniques with traditional Italian methods the authentic hand-rolled pizzas have made it a place loved by locals and visitors alike.
- Raven’s Coffee – Specialty coffee roasters in Denmark, offering breakfast, lunch, takeaways and more. Open 7 days a week.
Best places to stay in the Denmark wine region
One of the best places to relax and unwind while visiting the Denmark wine region is Upland Farm.
With so much to do and see in the area, you’re not going to want to rush your trip. So, where are the best places to stay in the Denmark wine region?
Here are some of our top picks.
- Ark of Denmark - Experience the true essence of Denmark, enjoying the tranquillity of this unique accommodation set amongst the majestic karri trees and magnificent granite boulders. Located in a natural bush setting only three kilometres from Denmark town centre, visitors can choose from two accommodation options, The Yurt or Due South.
- William Bay Cottages – Scattered amongst over 100 acres of stunning coastal bushland, the family-owned and run accommodation offers the perfect environment to switch off and relax in privacy and space. Choose from one, two and three-bedroom self-contained cottages, each tastefully and individually designed.
- Upland Farm – Offering luxury cabin accommodation in an upcountry setting, Upland Farm is set on a working cattle farm with expansive open fields and plenty of space to relax and breathe. It features four architecturally-designed cabins, each overlooking stunning views.
- Stillwood Retreat - A secluded, bespoke retreat nestled in the treetops, Stillwood is an architecturally-designed adults only studio set on five acres, welcoming guests to slow down, escape and unwind. Private yet only five minutes from Denmark town, the studio allows visitors to soak in the views of the rolling hills and stunning karri forest backdrop.
- Awaken Denmark – Located in nearby Hay, Awaken Denmark is an award-winning, energy efficient guesthouse offering accommodation. Overlooking the Wilson Inlet, it’s a great place to rejuvenate, relax and replenish.
For more information about Australia’s incredibly diverse and stunning wine regions, visit our dedicated Wine Regions section.
The best that Australia's wine regions have to offer
Want to see more of what our great wine regions have to offer? Then don’t miss our comprehensive guide to Australia’s Best Wineries and Cellar Doors – from the Hunter Valley in the east to Great Southern in the west, it’s the ultimate go-to-guide for planning your next wine adventure.
For Wine Selectors Members, make sure to check out our Members Extras offers before planning your next trip, and discover what fantastic offers are available for your wine region destination!
Want to see what all the fuss is about Denmark wines? Order some for yourself, experience some of the finest examples of premium winemaking this country has to offer and save with Wine Selectors.