Helly Raichura's chicken xacuti recipe is a creamy curry that is naturally complimented by the creamy texture of a Chardonnay, Viognier or aged Roussanne.
1 kg chicken drumsticks, skinless
3 medium red onions, sliced
5 tbsp oil
2 cups light coconut milk
1½ cups grated coconut
½ tsp turmeric powder
10 dry red chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 stick cassia bark
1 inch fresh ginger
10 cloves garlic
Salt, to taste
Recipe by Helly Raichura
Photography by Kristoffer Paulsen
Styling by Julie Haines
1. Toast grated coconut till light brown.
2. In a blender, add toasted coconut and all the ingredients for spice mix.
3. In a pan add oil, followed by sliced onions, and cook till light brown.
4. Now add chicken and cook till it caramelises a little, followed by a little water. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the spice paste, coconut milk and mix well. Season to taste, and cover the pan till chicken is cooked.
6. Serve, garnished with lime wedges.