Helly Raichura's recheado mackerel recipe has complex spice flavours that pair perfectly with flavoursome Rosé.
4 small mackerel, gutted and boned
Oil to shallow fry
100ml apple cider vinegar
100ml malt vinegar
20 dry Kashmiri chillies
1 tsp cumin
1 cassia bark
1/2 tsp peppercorns
8 garlic cloves
1 onion, sliced and fried till brown
1 tbsp oil
Salt, to taste
1½ tsp jaggery or coarse, dark brown sugar
Recipe by Helly Raichura
Photography by Kristoffer Paulsen
Styling by Julie Haines
1. Mix apple cider and malt vinegar and all the spice paste ingredients overnight.
2. Blend the spices to smooth paste, add oil if needed to make paste.
3. Clean mackerel and make cuts on either side of bone to make pockets, ensuring not to cut all the way through.
4. Stuff fish with the spice paste.
5. Heat up oil in a flat pan and fry the stuffed mackerel on both sides till cooked.