Lyndey Milan's roasted beetroot, fennel and goat's cheese salad recipe pairs well with Euro-style wines like Pinot Grigio. The fresh acidity and crisp flavours of the wine sit well alongside textural salads like this one.
1 bunch baby beets or 3–4 medium beetroot
2 bulbs baby fennel or 1 large
2 tsp (10ml) macadamia oil
120g baby salad leaves
140g marinated goat’s cheese, crumbled
2 blood oranges (or other oranges), segmented
½ cup roasted macadamias, roughly chopped
2 tbsp (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp (20ml) macadamia oil
1 tbsp (20ml) blood orange (or orange) juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Recipe by Lyndey Milan
Photography by John Paul Urizar
Styling by Michaela Le Compte
Food Prep by Sarah-Jane Hallett
Tiles supplied by Surface Gallery
1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan-forced).
2. Wrap beets individually in foil and place in a baking tray in the oven. Bake for 40–60 minutes or until tender when poked with a skewer (depending on size). Cut fennel in quarters, keeping the base intact but removing the core, and after 15–25 minutes (depending on size) add to the baking tray and drizzle with a little macadamia oil. Continue to bake with beets until softened.
3. For the vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
4. Cool beets, peel and cut into wedges.
5. Place baby leaves in serving bowl. Arrange beets, fennel, goat’s cheese, orange segments and macadamias on top.