1 Tbsp vegetable oil
200gm Shitake mushrooms, chopped
150gm Shimeji mushrooms, chopped
300gm firm tofu, diced
½ cup toasted cashews, roughly chopped
1 red onion, thinly sliced
½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
½ bunch mint leaves, torn
Birdseye chilli, finely sliced to garnish
½ green cabbage, quartered, leaves separated
2 Tbsp glutinous rice (Jasmine rice substitute ok)
1-2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
½ bunch coriander, finely chopped
1/3 cup fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime
2 tsp palm sugar, grated
1 Tbsp chilli powder
1. Heat oven to 180C. Lay the rice out onto a flat tray and toast in the oven until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before transferring to a spice grinder or mortar pestle. Ground to a coarse powder and set aside until required.
2. Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Adjust seasoning to taste with extra fish sauce, sugar or lime juice where needed. Dressing should be sharp but balanced with salty, sour and sweet. Set aside until required.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until shimmering. Fry off the mushrooms, moving constantly for 2-3 minutes before adding the tofu and most of the cashews. Fry off for another 2 minutes until tofu is warmed through. Remove and cool slightly before transferring to a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the red onion and herbs and toss together. Add enough dressing to coat the ingredients and toss to combine. Taste and adjust if necessary.
5. Transfer to a serving platter or divide into bowls and garnish with a bit of extra dressing, remaining cashews, a sprinkle of roasted rice and Birdseye chillies to taste. Cabbage is served on the side as an accompaniment.