1 whole butternut pumpkin (approx.2kg)
2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
6 cloves garlic
Drizzle of vegetable oil
120ml olive oil (oil from fetta preferred)
5g ground cumin
1 bunch chives, roughly chopped
Zest and juice of half a lemon
200g marinated goats fetta (Binnorie Dairy recommended)
60g roasted pecans
200g premium prosciutto
6 black figs, cut into quarters
1. Remove the skin from the pumpkin and cut in half.
2. Portion the top half of the pumpkin into manageable pieces for a mandoline. Slice sheets of pumpkin approx. 2mm thick and place on trays in the freezer for 40 minutes.
3. Allow to defrost then cut into ribbons and set aside.
4. Deseed the bottom half of the pumpkin, chop into pieces suitable for roasting and mix with red onion wedges, garlic cloves and a little vegetable oil.
5. Place on a roasting tray in a preheated oven for 35 minutes at 180ºC.
6. Remove from the oven and blend with 100ml of olive oil, 50ml of warm water, 5g cumin and salt to taste.
7. Toss pumpkin ribbons with chives, juice and zest of half a lemon, 20g olive oil, salt to taste.
8. Spoon the roasted pumpkin puree mixture onto a serving plate or board, place the pumpkin ribbons and chive salad mixture over the top and sprinkle with fetta and pecans. Arrange prosciutto and figs alongside.
Wine Match: Rosé or Grenache.