½ small watermelon
2 bulbs fennel, finely sliced
200g defrosted frozen peas
200g sheep’s Feta, diced
200ml extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch mint, finally chopped
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
Recipe by Colin Fassnidge
Photography by Jon Bader
1. With a large metal spoon, scoop the flesh out of the watermelon, keeping the outside intact to use as a bowl.
2. With a knife, flatten the bottom of the watermelon bowl by trimming the outer layer but not cutting through, so the watermelon has a base to sit on.
3. Chop the removed flesh into bite-size chunks.
4. In a large bowl place fennel, mint, peas, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
5. Crumble the Feta over the fennel bowl and mix through using your hands.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
7. Lightly toss the diced watermelon in with the fennel and peas – lightly, so it doesn’t break up too much.
8. Refill the melon bowl with your salad and serve.