Helly Raichuras balchao pickle
To complement Helly Raichura's spicy balchao pickle dish, pair with a glass of Verdelho. Verdehlo has long been known to complement fragrant or spicy dishes well, and some of the styles we’re seeing now are really turning heads.
1 ½ cups shelled prawns
2 small red onions, sliced
2 tbsp oil
6 dry red chillies
8 garlic cloves
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 cassia bark
1 small onion, fried till brown
1 tsp turmeric powder
Coriander, chopped, to garnish
1. Place all the spice mix ingredients in a blender and make a paste with a little water.
2. In a pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil followed by sliced onions and cook till light brown. Add spice paste and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add prawns and cook till done (in traditional methods, prawns are cooked for longer).
4. Preserve in a glass jar onced cooled, and store in fridge.
5. Serve as a pickle with rice or pulao, with a garnish of coriander.