con olive e limone
Massimo Mele shares his lamb skewer dish with traditional Italian flavours of oregano, parsley, lemon zest and chilli.
Pair this dish with a glass of Saperavi for a perfect wine match. We don’t grow much Saperavi in Australia, however its robust tannins and black olive characters make it a standout with this dish. Try it with Peter Drayton's Saperavi.
12 bamboo skewers soaked in water overnight
500g lamb shoulder, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 cups black olives
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano,
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon crushed dried chilli (optional)
Fresh lemon and salad leaves, to serve
1. Place meat in a bowl and lightly season and set aside.
2. Place olives and garlic in a food processor along with a sprinkle of salt. Slowly combine olive oil and blend to a paste. Finally finish with herbs, lemon zest and chilli (optional).
3. Marinate lamb with olive mixture and place in fridge for 1 hour.
4. To make the skewers, thread the lamb onto soaked skewers, making sure they are even shapes; this will ensure they cook evenly.
5. Cook on a griddle plate or bbq for 3 to 4 minutes each side, they will cook very quickly.
6. Serve with fresh lemon and salad leaves tossed in extra virgin olive oil.